Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Ultimate Asian Fried Rice

So I call this creation The Ultimate, the mother of all asian fried rice because it's seriously the best fried rice I've ever tasted. Now it may be a conflict of interest that I say this since I did make it LOL...but honestly I think I'm a damn good food critic and this rice wont dissapoint.

The reason why I call it The Ultimate Asian Fried Rice is because it borrows the influence of many different asian cuisines like Chinese, Thai and Cambodian etc.

So what you do is first cook the rice and have that ready. Then you begin making the sauce from scratch by grinding galangal which is a very aromatic root in the same family as ginger. Grind it finely with a clove of garlic, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves and red thai chilis. This gives you this delicious smelling blend of herbs.


The image above shows the galangal, lemon grass and red chilis I used for the blend, the store ran out of kaffir lime leaves so I used lime zest instead this time.

After, you take the blend of herbs and fry it in some peanut or canola oil (8 tablespoons or so), add a heaping tablespoon of paprika for color and smoke, also add some oyster sauce, a bit of sugar, pepper and soy sauce. Add the small pieces of prawns, diced white onion and snap peas in the mix and stir until its all cooked. Add the white rice in and stir. The rice will take the color of the paprika blend. If you like you can add diced BBQ pork for a full meal. I did that this time and it was really good.


At the end of your hard work and labour you get this amazing fresh tasting fried rice that you can't get anywhere. When you take every bite you taste the different ingredients pulled together to make this one tantalizing rice dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment